This ol’ F-100 was purchased with the intent of fixing it up a bit and reselling itthat’s what I told my wife, anyway. Bodywise it was in great shape. It required the minimal rust repair in the usual fender spots, but, overall, it was a great candidate for a face-lift. A Mustang II IFS system had already been installed, and it was outfitted with what appeared to be a fresh 350 Chevy and TH400 trans. Unfortunately, the motor had been mounted so the distributor cap was jammed up against the firewall, making removal of the cap impossible. Also, the throttle linkage rubbed the side of it when going through its travel. It had a good fan shroud on the radiator, but the fan was 3 inches from even coming close to being inside the shroud, so an electric fan had been mounted in front of the radiator.

The haphazard motor mount brackets just had to go. The rectangular tube that had been used for the motor mounts was strong and a pretty common material to use. As part of my repairs I’ll use some 3/16-inch plate and come up with something a little better looking and just as strong.

My first chore was to get to the motor and remove it. This being a ’56 Ford, the tips are based on this model, but are similar to other years and makes. This truck was being repainted, so the fenders were removed leaving the radiator and front air dams on the radiator mount. As is the case with most pickups, the F-100’s front sheetmetal can be removed by just removing the bolts at the rear of the front fenders and the bolts/studs under the radiator mount. With the bolts removed and a guy on each side, we lifted the radiator end up to clear the crossmember then lifted the back to clear the tires allowing us to take the whole front end off as one unit.

With the engine/trans removed, I used a plasma cutter to remove the old mounts and an electric grinder with a hard stone to get rid of the evidence. I knew basically where the new motor mounts were going to end up on the framerails so I made sure to grind and sand those areas just in front of the crossmember before the engine went in for fit. This truck needed a new trans mount too, because the previous quality in mounting of the motor, reflected in the construction of the trans mount as well. The replacement I used is from Classic Performance Products. (I use ’em for most of my suspension, brake, chassis, and steering needs as they cover multiple years, makes, and models of pickups and muscle cars. Plus, their catalog is filled with great swapping and construction tips as well.)