The first thing I realized though was that with a longer reach the unit was bound to flip forward as the center of gravity was altered. This necessitated making the first modification, lengthening the legs of the hoist so that it could handle the boom conversion without flipping forward. Luckily, I have an ample supply of scrap steel piled in the corner of the shop and soon found a selection of square tubing that was the correct size for the mods I had in mind. I first took the original hoist legs and removed their casters. I then cut 5-foot sections of .177-wall square tubing and slid them into the original legs (about 12 inches) and used the original caster mounting holes to create a way to hold the new extensions in the legs so they wouldn't pull out as the hoist was moved.