For me working alone is for the most part a blessing-no interruptions, no questions, no se
If you're anything like me (and for your sake let's hope not) you more than likely spend a lot of your shop time working alone. For the most part that's a good thing as work seems to progress much faster without distractions associated with helpers-like idle chat, second-guessing, and large amounts of adult beverages. But there are times when a pair of helping hands comes in pretty darn handy-like when you need to lift large or heavy objects.
Well, years of solo shop time have by necessity served to exercise my imagination a bit and motivated me to craft some pretty bizarre contraptions over the years (some of which have actually even worked). My latest brain fart was necessitated by having to repeatedly remove and replace the cab and bed of my current, and hopefully soon to be finished, Model A pickup. For the most part my wife, Candy, serves as my extra set of hands out in the garage, but chores of this nature are a bit above and beyond her call of duty. So it was with this in mind that I cast my gaze around the garage and mused about how I might accomplish what I needed to do without calling in reinforcements.
This latest creation (which I'm pretty sure is not unique to my simple mind) was motivated
My roving eye spied my engine hoist right off the bat, but I quickly realized that the boom length and the support leg length were much too short to be of much help. Fortunately that's when my attention turned to my scrap metal pile. There, leaning against a wall was a couple of 8-foot lengths of square tubing of differing size. Hmm, might they be of use? Turns out, they were ..
After a couple of crude sketches on a handy piece of cardboard I figured out that if I were lucky I just might be able to cut and weld my way out of this predicament-and after a few hours of trial and error I found out I had. The following series of images show how I figured my way around a particular problem-and though it may not be the best way (I'm planning on showing you the best way in next month's issue), my thrashing did end up doing what I needed it to do and may actually continue to serve me well in the future. So take a look at what I've done-keeping in mind that I'm no engineer (pretty obvious) and if you decide to follow my lead keep in mind that potential contraption failure could lead to possible life support-or at a minimum lots of Band-Aids.
The first thing I realized though was that with a longer reach the unit was bound to flip
I then welded the casters back onto the initial legs about 6 inches rearward of where they
The next step was to fabricate an additional boom section. I say additional because as wit
Though the image leaves a bit to be desired, you can see the third section of the extensio
Leaving about 6 inches of the first section of tubing protruding from the hoist, I used my
You may also notice that I drilled a hole in the original boom assembly and welded a nut t