I have a '54 Ford F-100 powered by a 272 Y-Block. I'm interested in a electronic ignition but have been told the old distributor housing will not accept one. In a past issue Doc suggested using a '59 or later model but I am having trouble locating one. I am also wondering if this is applicable to my engine. I'm also interested in another intake for a four-barrel carburetor. Any advice you have on what would apply to my engine or any contacts would be very much appreciated.Michael OakleyNashville,TN

I checked with the folks at Pertronix as to the availability of an Ignitor or the new and improved Ignitor-II electronic conversions for your '54 Y-block distributor. They assured me that they do have an application for both listed (and in stock) for your F-100. I can vouch for the reliability of these units as I've installed Ignitors in every point-equipped vehicle I've owned over the past 6 years. Plus, they're so easy to install it's incredible! Give them a call at (800) 827-3758, or check 'em out on the web at www.pertronix.com. As far as intakes are concerned you'll have to hit the swap meet circuit or perhaps the internet. Offenhauser made a bunch of different intakes for the 239-312 Y-block Fords but unfortunately they're no longer available as new. The net is the easiest place to start your search, and here's a few sites you might want to try-www.hotrodheaven.com, www.yblock.web-page.net, www.fordoldpart.com, and www.ford-y-block.com. I'm sure you'll come up with a good used intake-it'll just take a bit of hunting. RIZ

Hi, I'm 14 years old and own a '46 Chevy half-ton. My question has to do with parts for it. I've been looking through your magazines and found some luck but not much. Do you know any company's that specialize in '42-46 Chevy trucks? Any help would be appreciated. By the way, I love the magazine, keep up the good work,MarkVia E-mail

Since you don't specify what particular parts you're trying to locate I'll just have to fire off a few of the company's that come to mind when I think about early Chevy pickup stuff in general. Let's see, there's Obsolete Chevrolet Parts Company, truck parts from '29-59 at (800) 248-8785 or www.obschevy.com-American Classic Truck Parts, Chevy and GMC parts from '36-87 at (940) 365-9786 or www.americanclassic.com-The Filling Station, Chevy and GMC parts '18-72 at (541) 258-2114 or www.fillingstation.com. Then, there's Smoothie Fabrication, Chevy running boards for '33-54 at (877) 218-1937-Chevs Of The '40s, nearly anything for Chevys from '37-54 at (800) 999-2438 or www.chevsof the40s.com-and Dixie Truck Works, Chevy and GMC parts from '42-82 at (704) 436-2407. And there's also Jim Carter Antique Truck Parts, GM truck parts from '34-72 at (800) 882-1913 or www.oldchevytrucks.com. I more than likely forgot one or two others, but these guys should, collectively, have anything you'll need. Best of luck with your project! RIZ

I have a '56 F-100 I'm redoing and am in great need of information on installing a Volare frontend. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I thought perhaps you've run an article in a past issue or are planning to run one in the future I'd be happy to get my hands on any helpful info.Thank You.Danny CripeVia E-mail

Before I give you any info on junkyard clips promise me you'll at least price some of the base-model aftermarket IFS kits out there. If you still just have to use parts with a history then call our back issue department and order a copy of the June '97 issue (vol. 6, no. 6) and check out page 24. If they're out of that issue, get back to me and we'll figure something out. RIZ