I gotta tell ya, my hat comes off to those of you out there that are career body men and painters. I've just finished a week of vacation doing the finish bodywork on my project '57 and lemme tell you, I'm plum worn out.
Even though all four fenders and the pickup bed front panel and tailgate were all brand-new replacements from LMC Truck, just getting the smashed and rusted cab whipped back into shape seemed like it was way more work than my last build. I guess I can chalk that up to advanced age and regressed stamina. In any case I'll sure be glad when it's ready for paint.
At this point it's just great to finally get back out into the shop to spend some quality time making progress. And speaking of progress, at this point the cab is nearly ready for paint. So far I've replaced the cab corners, rocker panels, door opening steps, door bottoms, and have completed both the rough and finish bodywork on the complete exterior of the cab. This leaves the interior/dash preparation as well as the cargo bedsides and side rails and hood bodywork.
Thankfully I've replaced the most severely damaged components with new reproduction panels from LMC Truck (including both front and rear fenders, all the needed patch panels, and both the front bed panel and tailgate). On the inside of the cab I also replaced the center (radio opening section) of the dash and the glovebox door assembly with LMC Truck replacements too.
At this point it won't be very long before I'm able to jamb the cab and get some color onto the dash and interior surfaces as well. I've already picked and purchased the color (a '57 Chevy passenger car Tropical Turquoise) and appropriate primers and sealers from Summit Racing and I'm dying to get the cab interior painted so I can begin installing the new American Autowire wiring harness and the Vintage Air unit.
If all goes well the wiring installation should show up in the next issue – that is, if I continue to get back into the garage as I have over the last couple of weeks. Which reminds me, thanks for all the emails regarding whatever happened to project '57. I had stopped working on it for a few months due to my ailing back and those emails proved to be the motivation I needed to get my butt back out there and get back to work. That said, I promise you'll be seeing more regular installments of my “Weekend Update” progress, in fact, I'm heading out to the garage as soon as I send this editorial over to my managing editor. See ya next month.
If all goes well the wiring installation should show up in the next issue – that is, if I continue to get back into the garage as I have over the last couple of weeks.